Becoming Dirty is one of the primary dangers of early Mush games, as the agents of Mush are guaranteed to become Dirty while performing their shroomy deeds. This naturally puts suspicion on anybody caught with less-than-perfect hygiene. Crew members will be expected to report exactly how and why they've become Dirty, and are advised to avoid it in any ways possible. Certain crew members are even expected to never be dirty due to the clean nature of their roles.
Measures against Dirtiness
To remove the Dirty status from your character, take a Shower in either of the dorms. If both showers have been dismantled, an emergency shower will be available in the Refectory, which can only be used once a day.
Showering takes 2 in regular showers, or 3 in the emergency Refectory shower. Holding either Soap (or Super Soaper) reduces the cost by 1 . The Super Soaper will also remove 1 Spore from your body when you shower.
Adverse effects of being Dirty
Finola loses 1 for every cycle she spends Dirty due to her Germaphobe trait, meaning that she should avoid being dirty at all cost.
Due to the dangers of the Mush, the NERON AI prohibits Dirty crew members from accessing a number of consoles. While dirty, you will not be able to perform the following actions:
- Working on Research.
- Working on NERON Projects.
- Analyzing planets. (You can scan for planets, just not analyze them.)
- Working on the Communications Console.
- Grafting plants. (When trying to graft a fruit onto a plant, the plant must not be thirsty, dried out or sick, and the person doing it must not be dirty. If any of these things is the case, the plant will die and you will lose the fruit.)
- Repairing the PILGRED Reactor
- Moving the ship using the Navigation Terminal
- Accessing the BIOS Terminal and changing NERON's settings
- Doing the thing
Causes of Dirtiness
- Cooking. (Includes the Coffee Machine and the Microwave.)
- Eating. (Goes for any kind of Consumable; Standard Ration, Cooked Ration, Fruit, Coffee, Pills...)
- Working on Research.
- Working on the PILGRED Reactor.
- Extracting or inserting Fuel Capsule.
- Using the Combustion Chamber. (Includes both Check Fuel and Insert Fuel.)
- Melee combat, unarmed or with Knife, even if you miss.
- Repairs, even if you fail.
- Installing and removing a Camera.
- Building an object from a Blueprint.
- Opening a Space Capsule.
- Dismantling objects, even if you fail.
- Upgrading a Support Drone.
- Healing yourself with a Bandage.
- Performing a Surgery with Medic and Medikit or DIY Surgery in MedLab.
- Using the Spore Sucker.
- Using Jar of Alien Oil.
- Using Survival Kit.
- Using Lunchbox.
- Using the SNC Kitchen Gold Project.
- Mush: Sabotaging equipment.
- Using the Torturer skill on somebody.
- Trying to extinguish a fire without an Extinguisher (as Firefighter).
- Searching with Metalworker skill, even if you fail.