The Comms Center is located on the Bridge and accessible by everyone. Anyone may view the current progress, look at the current trades offered on the Shortwave Radio, and help establish the link to Sol. But everything else is reserved solely to the Communications Officer, which makes this title a rather large responsibility. Even the Hacker Kit cannnot override these restrictions.
- If it is down, all actions cost 1 more.
- If it is enhanced by the Spatial Wave Radar, the chances of making a connection with Sol are doubled.
|All long-range Communications work requires establishing a connection first.|
For trading with local transporters, see trading.
This simple action can be performed by any member of the crew for 2 or 1 , and should be attempted by everyone at the start of the ship (but only once everyone has joined). The first time it succeeds, every already awoken crew member is granted +3 . (NERON will announce: "Rebel networks: connection established… Health implication: team morale boost.")
This action will improve the signal quality, then attempt to connnect with Sol.The signal starts at 0% at the beginning of the game. Each failed attempt increases the signal strength by 4% without boosts, by 6% in the presence of a Radio Expert, or by 8% if you are a Radio Expert. The probability of the connection being established is then equal to the signal quality. For example, if the signal quality is 32%, you have 32% chances of the connection being established. While the contact is established, this button is replaced by a "connection established" symbol.
The signal may drop:
- If you use the Microwave.
- By random chance (low signal strength makes this more likely).
- By uncovering one of two bad Xyloph DB entries.
- If the communications panel is broken for any reason.
Upgrade NERON VersionCommunications Officer is able to upgrade NERON's version. Each successful upgrade will complete a random NERON Project.
(A connection to Sol is required to update.)
- Each Participation contributes a random amount, with the maximum generally decreasing at higher version levels.
- The first upgrade can take as little as 2 Participations (50% each time), but uprgrades can also "fail" and yield only 1%.
- The project completed can only be one that has not previously appeared in the Nexus.
- If all projects have already been offered in the Heart of Neron, upgrading will do nothing
- The Version number starts at v1.00
- The Decimal place depicts the current update progress.
- If you complete more than 9 updates, the version number will change to v1.000, then v1.100 etc.
|Allows you to access information left at the home port of the Daedalus, or whatever is left of it...|
Every time an entry is successfully decoded, a new advantage is unlocked (workshop plans, information on Mush, etc.).
The DB entries appear in the comms panel in the following locations:
|Cookbook||Ghost Chun||Mage Books||Blueprints|
Decoding rebel base contacts can give various bonuses to the ship.
Once per day, a rebel base will attempt to contact the Daedalus. This will happen randomly on any cycle - from 1 to 8 and will remain the same for the course of the ship. As long as contact with Sol has been established, NERON will announce when the rebel bases attempt to make contact.
2 or 1 makes progress toward decoding the rebel base signal. Once the signal is 100% decoded, it will provide the bonus to the ship. This usually requires 4-5 steps. 2-3 with contact to Kivanc through the Xyloph DB or the Rebel skill, and 2 with both.
If the base is not fully decoded within a certain period of time, or if the Daedalus moves before the signal is decoded, the base will be lost forever and you will not receive that bonus.
Generally, the bases from days 3, 5 and 7 are considered worthwhile, while the others are optional at best. Many people also consider day 6 (brainsync) to be a worthwhile base to decode, especially on long lasting ships where plants need to be held and ships with many bronze players.