The crew of the Daedalus can embark on Expeditions to foreign planets, restocking the ship's resources and discovering various adventurous zones and artifacts. Some precautions need to be taken before an Expedition can be started, and a larger number of characters will need to work together to load fuel, send the Daedalus on its course and embark on the journey.
Launching an Expedition
- You have to find a planet with the Astro Terminal.
- Someone has to put the correct amount of Fuel into the Combustion Chamber. If the Daedalus moves to a wrong position, the planet will be lost forever.
- Your Commander has to turn the Daedalus in the right direction and then engage the trip. See: Navigation.
- Optional: Everyone can look at the planet and finish the surface scan now, if you have not done so already, for a cheaper cost. Do this in order to confirm that the planet really contains what was reported, and you won't encounter things you do not want to (generally this means Volcanoes, Mankarog and Seismic zones).
- Assemble your expedition crew in Icarus Bay and take off. The only cost is 4 AP for launching, from the person who launches. Everyone else in the bay is brought along automatically, and more AP is not needed to return.
- The Expedition will happen automatically. Exception: The U-Turn skill will allow you to abort an expedition in progress.
- When you are on an Expedition, all discovered items, fruit and food appear in the Icarus Bay. When on a patrol ship, they appear in the respective bay when the patrol ship gets back.
- Once the Expedition is done, someone will have to put 1 in the Combustion Chamber, and the Commander has to move out of orbit before you can scan for new planets.
You can't launch an expedition under these circumstances:
- The planet has been fully explored
- An expedition is currently happening
- If the BIOS Crew Lock is on [Pilot], but you have no Pilot to start it.
- As long as there are Mush on board, it is highly recommended to take the acting Commander along for the expedition, and secure the Hacker Kit, to prevent them from moving the ship.
- If the Icarus is still on the planet when the Daedalus moves, the Icarus and all expedition personal will be lost forever. If the Magnetic Return project is installed, the Icarus will be returned... but not the crew.
- If someone dies during the expedition, everything they were carrying is permanently lost.
- For a successful landing, it does not matter who launches the expedition, as long as a Pilot is part of the crew. Having the NERON Administrator temporarily allow this can be useful for saving Pilot .
- After exploring the planet in a patroller, you will be returned to space outside the ship rather than land in a bay.
Certain characters' skills lend themselves to Expeditions especially well, granting the exploring crew various bonuses. Expedition gains from multiple same skills do stack.
Botanist: +1 to fruit gained from Harvests.
Diplomat: Prevents any Combat events on the planet. It won't protect you from creature-related accidents like getting smashed by a Mankarog, however.
Sprinter: +1 area visited per Sprinter. (Even if they go missing during the mission.)
Shooter: +1 to group combat strength if the Shooter carries a blaster
Polyvalent: Combines the effects of Diplomat and Botanist.
- Individual damage to the Survivalist is reduced by 1 point.
- The event Provision gives 1 more Alien Steak.
- Last to die in case of fatal events. It means that if a random person dies, it will not be you unless you are the only one left.
Spacesuit Allows explorers to go on a planet without oxygen. If you don't have a spacesuit on such a planet, you won't take part in the expedition, and you will wait in the Icarus. (Which can be desirable for a Traitor, so be wary / do not forget your suit.)
Blaster +1 added to the strength of your team during Combat.
Knife +1 added to the strength of your team during Combat.
Natamy Rifle +1 added to the strength of your team during Combat.
Lizaro Jungle +1 added to the strength of your team during Combat.
Old Faithful (Machine Gun): +2 added to the strength of your team during Combat.
Rocket Launcher +3 added to the strength of your team during Combat.
Grenade +3 added to the strength of your team during Combat, but the Greande is consumed. (If a crew member carries more than one, only one will be used per fight.)
The exploration occurs automatically, one zone every 10 minutes.
- 9 of the planet's zones explored with the Icarus ship, and 1 more for each Sprinter in the group.
- 3 with a patrol ship, 4 if you are Sprinter.
Each zone can be explored once, but a visit may fail to explore in case of Wandering event.
Each zone has 4 possible outcomes. (for details see Zones)
Item gains (Steaks, O2, Fuel, Fruits) reported by the game already include the bonuses from any Skills and inventory items mentioned above.
Combat events are calculated as follows:
- The creature's strength is determined by the zone, the Shipwreck encounter being the exception.
- The strength of the crew is 1 per member plus any bonuses from weapons and Shooter.
- If the group's strength is inferior to the creature's strength, the difference in strength is spread across the group as damage (not necessarily in an equal way).
- If the group's strength is superior, the crew simply doesn't take any damage. There are no other effects.
After an expedition is finished, anyone who joined the expedition will be offered to see the expedition log page. The link to this expedition log page can be shared with the rest of the crew.