The Mush is a cruel fungus which uses its host as cattle, wiping out everything on its journey... extinguishing passion, emotion and desire and everything that makes a sentient being nothing but a mindless zombie. All it desires is the expansion of its organism.
Playing as the Mush
Main article: Mush Play.
An agent of the Mush requires stealth, cunning and deceit to claim victory over humanity and prevent the Magellan project from succeeding. Between managing your Dirty status, not drawing suspicion by the other crew members, and efficiently managing your , a lot can go wrong for an unprepared Mush player. Prepare your shroomy journey by informing yourself via the Mush Play article.
Trivia: Mush and Water
Main article: Mush Skills.
Players on the side of The Mush have an secondary set of Skills with its own, separate curve and Skill Slots at their disposal. To balance things out, they lose the ability to use some of their previous Skills. If you play as Mush and the crew turns you back to human with the injection of the Retro-Fungal Serum, you will get the choice of re-picking your character's skills.
Main article: Actions.
As the Mush you will have new actions available to you in addition to your human actions.
Some of these actions are available to all Mush, such as Extract a spore. Other actions only become available to a mush player with the associated skill, such as the Booby-Trap Unit action which is linked to the Trapper skill.
Converting to Mush
At the start of every game, only 3 spores are needed to convert a human player to a Mush player. In the later game this number may change to 4 spores if the humans finish the Mushovore Bacteria research.
A human victim will be converted to Mush immediately after the last spore is attached. The ship's crew log is also immediately updated.
Attaching a spore
- Infect, a basic Mush action which is unlocked by default
- Schrödinger can be infected and will transfer a spore to anyone that gets scratched. (The same person can be spored by Schrödinger more than once if they get injured multiple times.) Cuddling does not transfer spores.
- Fungal Kitchen (requires Mush 1), a skill that spikes a consumable item with a spore, infecting the character who consumes it.
- Trapper (requires Mush 5), a skill which places a spore in the current room, transferring it to the next character that performs any room action.
- "Doing it" An action that is intended to raise morale, but can get spored if you are doing it with a Mush.
In this next example, the humans have finished the Mushovore Bacteria research and 4 spores are now required for a conversion.
- You may infect a human only once per day, as a mush. Unless you get a skill Infector which lets you infect others twice per day.
- No one can see you taking a shower. But if you pick up a soap, people may find out that you've taken a shower.
- Eat rations will not give you as the pills also, so be cautious, this is a test that can be done if you arouse suspicions.