|Chun earns 1 for every day she survives. Chun also gains 4 for reaching Eden, and for each sucessful research project that required her presence.|
The immunized cannot be infected by Mush. Practical when you're not sure who to trust...
|1||Mankind's only hope|
|Position on title lists:|
As the only surviving member of the Tamina medical team after their first contact with the Mush, Zhong Chun is probably the most unique character on board the Daedalus. Cryogenically frozen by the Federation for over 9 years to ensure her silence and serve as a test subject, then harrassed by journalists and living under covers, Chun has never known an ordinary life. However, with her immunity, Chun is the key to the survival of the human race, and must be protected at all costs.
How to play
Her Immunized trait means Chun is the only crew member aboard the Daedalus who can never be infected by the Mush. This makes her the central hub of the Mush hunt, there to be part of and organize the different Mush hunting groups, and act as a person of trust to those who want to share sensitive information. As such she will also often be the judge on who is to be taken out by the lynch mob.
In the Laboratory, she unlocks several important Research projects, which does require her to stay there most of the time, but also makes her Finola's (or Andie's) best friend when it comes to Relaying their progress. And when she does get out, her immunity is useful for springing room traps, and checking on people in "restricted" areas like Raluca in her turret.
- Take Mankind's only hope. It's a great skill, never leave home without it. If you don't take it, your crew will likely deride and mock you for being so short sighted.
- Mankind's only hope / Nurse is the first available option and allows a Chun to be a useful replacement and/or counterpart to Finola, while giving her a job other than putting into research.
- Mankind's only hope / Premonition can be useful to get confirmation on strong Mush suspects, but should only be used by experienced players in coordination with Janice or Andie due to the morale cost.
- Mankind's only hope / Sneak allows a Chun to act as a normal Bronze would otherwise act like, but provides a modicum of defense against aggressive Mush or griefers.
- Mankind's only hope / Lethargy gives Chun the ability to be more productive in Research, and quickly rush certain projects. Though generally a lethargic Chun can be a major help in any situation if she gains a Mage Book skill.
- A level 5 Chun should either drop Sneak or Premonition. The latter only allows Chun to see the last action of the player she uses it on, at the cost of 1 , making it much of a risk to gamble on, unless she and the research team are coordinated enough that she can follow her lethargic tendencies in a dorm with Janice. Sneak allows her to respond to violent threats much more handily, and could allow her to 'take care' of some problems more easily on her own, but the opportunities to use it are rare.
- While not the greatest skill either, Nurse allows a Chun to be a help to the team and to replace a Mush / incompetent Finola as a healer, while Lethargy allows her to put more into research.
- A lot of research projects require you to be in the Laboratory. This does not mean you have to stay there all the time, but do coordinate your actions with the researchers.
- Coordinate with the Mush hunters. You should ask them to tell you about any possibly suspicious actions (like hiding items) and other deceptions, which humans (as opposed to Mush) should have no problem sharing with you. This will help your decisions when they consult you about killing someone, which they ought to do, knowing you have that kind of information.
- Keep a communications channel open! You will have a lot of people wanting to whisper to you on a good ship, so you should make it a habit to close any less important conversations.
- Your Immunized trait means you can counter the Mush's Fungal Kitchen and Trapper skills - foil their plans by being the one who eats suspicious food, and by performing actions that would spring traps in every room you pass through! (You need to click a blue action button. In doubt, just drop and pick up one of your items. "Examine" works too, but merely looking at shelves is NOT enough!)
- You should be the person wearing the Plastenite Armor. Besides already being a prime target for rampaging Mush because of your status and Mankind's only hope, this will make it harder to get other sensitive items you may be holding, typically the Knife or the Hacker Kit.
- Do not be shy about demanding these items to be handed to you, especially the Knife to prevent a Phagocyte-driven rampage over the first day change. Only Mush would have a reason not to comply.
- Born in Vladivostok in China.
- Zhong Chun joined the nurses-auxiliary missionary corps and set off in an intergalactic convoy to participate in the great colonization of Tau Ceti. 6 months before she left, she completed an intensive nursing course.
- Chun is assigned to the Tamina expedition support team. This luxurious planet has an abundance of animal and plant life, but because of the importance of the Boxylium deposits this does not spark much initial interest from Kim Jin-Su.
- After two explorers falling ill after routine surface expeditions, the ship is rapidly re-routed to join Atemis on Tau Ceti III. During the voyage, the young explorer Daryn William dies under Chun's eyes. The second pilot is still alive when he goes into the operating block. What happens next is a nightmare. In the middle of the operation, two assistants begin to vomit violently. The quarantine alarm sounds and the entire medical bay is sealed. Chun goes from one patient to the next, but in less than 36h the entire exploration and medical staff have succumb to what seems to be a highly contagious form of fungal apraxia. Of the entire group, Chun is the only survivor.
- In a state of shock, Chun is sent back to Earth. Upon her arrival, her cryosleep is prolonged for an unspecified period by the government. Officially there were no survivire of the Tamina disaster.
- Chun wakes up in Central America where she awakes in the presence of a team led by Nils Carlsson. She had been their test subject for the last 9 years. She is rehomed in the suburbs not far from the laboratory under an assumed name. In questioning Professor Carlsson, she learns that the infection discovered on Tamina has spread to Tau-Ceti and that the sanitation department is currently working on a vaccine to stop the spread. The colonists have not been advised.
- An SNC journalist catches up with Chun and asks her exactly what happened on Tamina. Chun answered his questions but didn't mention the pandemic on Tau-Ceti for fear of causing widespread panic throughout the system.
- Nils finally completes his analysis of Chun's immune system. He manages to isolate a sample of harmless mycelium which encourages human antibodies to gradually reject the mush. The Anti-Fungal vaccine is sent to Tau-Ceti.
- While a massive preventative vaccination campaign is arranged on Antemis under some creative pretext, a spontaneous rebellion bursts out amongst the miners. A story breaks that the new vaccine transforms you into a mindless zombie to be enslaved in the mines of Sol. Only a handful of miners could be vaccinated before the SDF were obliged to leave the system.
- The official Federation announcement of the existence of Mush sets off an unprecedented media storm. News of Zhong Chun's existence rapidly breaks and she finds herself constantly harrassed by groups of journalists. To escape the unrest, Professor Nils sends Chun to Xyloph-17, the base from where her colleague Kim Jin-Su is organizing a voyage to the Magellan nebula.
- Chun worked for two years on the orbital platform as a maintenance operative. Only Kim Jin-Su, the commander of operations, knew her true identity. Despite the satisfaction of finally being able to lead a normal life, Chun worried for Carlsson's safety as he was supposed to join her a few months later.
- The journalist Eleesha Williams who interviewed her 10 years previously suddenly contacts the crew with some alarming news. According to a note left by Carlsson dating from 3150, the decision makers of the Federation are infected.
- Professor Carlsson finally makes it to the orbital platform, Chun's true identity is revealed to the crew. They started working together again to isolate another mycelium sample and restart vaccine production. However, Nils' deteriorating health hampers progress considerably.
- The invasion of the orbital platform by the FDS provokes the hurried departure of the Daedalus. Professor Carlsson isn't up to following the team, so is obliged to leave Chun facing her compelling destiny.