It is also possible to dismantle permanently some equipment. In order to prevent malicious dismantling, it is possible to first reinforce important equipment.
Causes of break-downs
There are essentially two possible causes for an equipment to become broken:
- Accidental: by random chance at cycle change, by electrical spikes or fires.
- The risk increases as the days tick by, so it is rare (but still possible) to have multiple equipment break-downs in early days.
There is no way to prevent an equipment from breaking down.
Finding Broken Equipment
Reporting Broken Equipment
- Once someone clicks on the broken equipment and reports it, Neron posts another message that includes the reporting person's name:
- Now when crew members hover the mouse icon over the broken equipment alert , a pop-up will come up that includes the reporter's name and which room the broken equipment is.
- However it still does not display which equipment is broken. You have to post a message in the chatbox to share this info yourself.
- Support Drones will attempt to repair the equipment if they are in the same room, whether the broken equipment was reported or not.
- Success chance: (varies)
- Target: Broken Equipment
- Effect: the equipment become functional again
- Affected by: Technician, Adjustable Wrench, Alien Bottle Opener
The base percentage for successful repair varies per equipment (6%, 12% or 25%). The Technician skill doubles this chance. The Adjustable Wrench and the Alien Bottle Opener also increase your chances by half. The Technician skill, the Adjustable Wrench and the Alien Bottle Opener stack together for even better percentages. The success chance also increases after each try. See the Table below for an example.
|No Technician Bonus
Note that the best possible percentage is 99%. There will always be a chance that you will fail at the repair. However, with each failure your percentage of likely repair improves each time.
Dismantling and Reinforcing Equipment
Only the Technician skill will let you dismantle equipment and objects. Only a few pieces of equipment are available for dismantling, most notably the Shower for its valuable Thick Tube, a necessary component of Swedish Sofas. As with repair, the Adjustable Wrench and the Alien Bottle Opener will increase your chances of a successful dismantling, and failure will also increase your chances. All equipment costs 1 or 3 to disassemble.
A Technician can also reinforce equipment to make it harder to sabotage and to prevent the dismantling ability. It does not protect the object from breaking. It requires 2 or 1, and Scrap Metal. There is a flat starting success rate of 35%.
This skill is useful for protecting vital equipment from Mush or griefers. For instance, if you suspect that you have a mush technician, it could be worth your while to reinforce the second Shower so you don't end up showering in the Kitchen, or reinforcing the Swedish Sofa so it doesn't get destroyed. Conversely, as a mush you could reinforce both showers or other things that are helpful to be dismantled.
The important thing to stress is that this protects you from other players, not from the RNG. Don't waste your scrap.