|Capable of distinguishing the characteristics of the various plants and fruits. They are also equally effective when maintaining the garden.
| Ian 1
Ian's beginning skill, and one that he is usually expected to take. Besides making you the official gardener of the ship, it allows you to read the effects of fruit so you can tell your crew that it's totally safe to eat that weird alien eggplant - especially if you do not have a Chef to do that.
Mage Book candidates include Stephen, who can then combine Cycle 8 gardening with some Cycle 1 cooking, Chao or Derek to give them something to do after the Mush hunt (Chao can combine this with Survivalist) or Paola to have her help out with large late-game gardens once she is done with her Comms work. Eleesha would also be an option, but if she has her Determined skill, that may be better combined with more difficult tasks, like those of a Technician.
- Try and use your for the more expensive tasks like treating diseases, while getting others to help you with simple watering.
- Bonus to efficiency on NERON Projects:
- Effects of consumption can be read.
- Can view Fruit Productivity (fruit per day).
- Can view O2 Productivity (oxygen per day).
- Can view how many cycles are left before the plant matures.
- Gains 2 per day, to a maximum of 4.
- When on an Expedition, any number of fruit gained from Harvest events will be raised by 1. This effect stacks, if you have more than one botanist on the expedition.
- Target: Plants when holding a fruit.
- Effect: Try to graft a plant with a fruit. The plant is replaced with a new Young plant of the fruit's type.
- Public log: (success) What a relief, [Botanist] has successfully created a crossbreed of the [Fruit]. The little plant is doing great!
- Public log: (fail) What a relief... oh wait... [Botanist] has not succeeded in their attempt to crossbreed a [Fruit]. The little plant didn't grow and eventually died... Something must have contaminated the procedure.